Friday, 9 October 2026

'nightmares in the afternoon': 1970s folk horror on british television

At the request of a couple of friends following the October meeting of London's best progressive book club - where we brought post-colonial and psychosexual perspectives to bear on Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla as well as sharing what we just plain liked, disliked, found funny etc about it - here are some links to a few things I've written lately on horrific and/or spooky themes. 

===
First, there's something about James Herbert's 'The Rats' (1974) versus first-wave punk rock:

Rats, Fog, Filth & Fury: James Herbert's 1970s moment is in Focus 73 (pp22-4: link opens PDF). 

Then there's a three-part series about folk horror themes in British genre television during the 1970s. 

Nightmares in the Afternoon (1): Nigel Kneale's 'Beasts' is in Focus 77 (pp35-7: link opens PDF). 

Nightmares in the Afternoon (2): 'The Changes' is in Focus 78 (pp21-4: link opens PDF). 

Nightmares in the Afternoon (3): Terry Nation's 'Survivors' is in Focus 79 (pp27-9: link opens PDF). 

My favourite of these three - the series I'd take to the proverbial desert island, provided that it was genuinely unoccupied and no-one else already lived there - would be 'The Changes', for reasons I talk more about here ["Anna Home should feature on British bank notes: change my mind."] 

(Focus is a British Science Fiction Association magazine - do consider joining the BFSA, if that might be your kind of thing).

I've also written:

Ropes, Planks, Sensible Shoes: Disaster and Resilience in the M. Night Shyamalan movie 'Signs' and in the World at Large.

plus something about the extraordinary British B-movie 'Devil Girl from Mars' (1954) starring Patricia Laffan which I wrote for its fiftieth anniversary - but I did that under another name so would need to dig into the stacks (in a mouldering library inside of a cursed castle) in order to find it. 

Here's an index to other content you can find at this site. 

I now need to follow up on some of the book recommendations from yesterday, spooky and otherwise - and (totally unironically) I probably need to re-watch all of the Twilight movies [first movie | sequels - from when this site really was 'twenty-seven word reviews']. 





No comments:

Post a Comment